- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1(2 lb/ 907 g) bag of lentils
- 1 heaping tap of minced garlic
- 1 (696 ml) can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 (900 ml) carton of vegetable broth
- 1 (900 ml) carton of beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to season
1. In a large pot spoon in the olive oil and minced onion on medium heat. Let the garlic cook for 1-2 minutes.
2. While that’s cooking chop your onions finely and then add them to the garlic. Let the onions cook for 2-4 minutes or till slightly translucent.
3. Add the can of tomatoes and let it reach a simmer. Add the lentils and one carton of broth and the 2 bay leaves. Season well.
4. Drop the heat to medium low and then gradually add in the remaining liquid. Keep an eye on the lentils. They should cook in 45-60 minutes. If your lentils are not fully cooked through add more liquid till all the lentils are cooked through.
5. Season and serve to keep you warm in the winter cold.