- 3 broccoli heads
- 3 shallots
- 8-10 pearl onions
- 6 celery stalks
- 1 garlic head
- 6-7 baby potatoes
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 2 cups of vegetable stock
- 3 cups of water
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 cardamom pods
- 3-4 mastic crystals
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 F (176 C)
2. Wash, peal and chop the shallots, pearl onions, celery stalks and potatoes and place them on a baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and generously season.
3. Cut off the top of the garlic head, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and wrap in aluminum foil and place it with the other vegetables on the baking tray. Bake for 30-40 minutes will the vegetables are tender.
4. In a large stock pot, pour 3 cups of water 2 cups of vegetable stock, the bay leaves, cardamom pods and mastic crystals and let the liquid start to come to a boil.
5. While the liquid is heating up, roughly chop the stalks of the broccoli and add to the stock pot. The smaller the pieces the quicker they will become tender.
6. Now roughly chop the broccoli florets and all it also to stock pot. Allow the broccoli and stalks to boil and for the liquid to reduce.
7. Pull out the vegetables from the oven allow to cool. Then scrape off the pan and with the 3/4 cup of milk place the baked vegetables into a mixer and pulse a bit till you get a chunky texture.
8. When the broccoli is ready remove the cardamom pods and the bay leaves. Then using a ladle star ladling in the broccoli and stalks. (Start with the chunkier parts). Keep adding broccoli to the mixer till it is full. You will have remaining liquid in the pot. Pour it into measuring cup.
9. Pour the puréed vegetables back into the stock pot.
10. Pour the liquid in the measuring cup back into the mixer to blend and to pick up any vegetables remaining in the mixer then add to the stock pot.
11. Stir the now ready broccoli soup and season to your liking.
Serve and Enjoy