- 1 1/4 cups of brown sugar (not packed)
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of dark cocoa powder
- 2 tsp of baking soda
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/3 cup of butter (melted)
- 1 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar (packed)
- 1 1/4 cups of hot water
Whipped cream or ice cream to serve
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 F (177 C). Lightly grease a round 2 quart ceramic dish (or a regular 9 inch pan.
2. In a large bowl combine 3/4 cup of brown sugar (not packed) 1 cup of flour, 1/4 cup of cocoa, baking soda and salt.
3. Gradually then stir in the milk, melted butter and vanilla till the dough is fully incorporated.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
5. In a small bowl mix together the remaining 1/4 cup of cocoa, 1/2 cup of brown sugar (not packed), and 1/2 cup of brown sugar (packed). Use your fingers if necessary to break up any clumps of sugar.
6. Sprinkle the cocoa brown sugar mixture onto the batter in the pan.
7. Pour the hot water onto the ingredients in the ceramic baking dish. DO NOT STIR.
8. Place the baking dish on a cookie tray incase any batter overflows.
9. Bake the pudding for 35-40 minutes or until most of the batter is set except the center needs to be a bit runny still.
10. Let it cool for 5-10 minutes then serve with whipped cream or ice cream.