This cake is not for the faint hearted or the “clean” eaters… but its the best cake ever!
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 cups of all purpose flour
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp of baking powder
- 1 – 1.2 kg of black dates (those are native to North Africa and the MENA region)
to grease 2 large cake pans
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1- 12/2 cups of butter
- Peal, deseed and half your dates, and place them in a clean tray.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour and baking powder and set it aside.
- In a large mixing bowl cream the butter and both 1 1/2 cups of brown sugar and 1/2 cup of granulated sugar till pale in color. hen gradually add in one egg at a time as well as the vanilla extract. the batter with become frothier and double in size.
- gradually fold in the flour mix, alternating with the milk and your batter should look like the below picture
to grease the trays
- In a different mixing bowl beat the sugar and butter to make a paste.
- line your baking tins bottoms with parchment so the dates don’t stick !
- divide the sugar butter mixture into both trays and spread it evenly on the bottom.
- Arrange the date halves from the outside inwards like in the picture below.
- Then divide the batter onto the dates– the batter should just about cover the dates with a little.
- I would recommend placing the cakes in trays if they are spring pans because the syrup from the butter sugar and dates may leak!!
- preheat your oven to 160 C (320 F) bake the cakes until the center of the cake is no longer raw, should be between 35-40 min depending on the cake size.
- Once out, carefully flip the cakes while hot– so they don’t stick to the pans.
I normally cannot wait till they cool and eat slice after slice right out of the oven!! if you can, wait for a bit and serve– could also be served with a side of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream