- 1 cup of butter
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of cocoa powder (dutch processed)
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of baking soda
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 2 eggs and 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup of chocolate chips
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 cup of yogurt +1/4 cup of milk
- 3 cups of whipping cream
- 1/2 cup of icing sugar
- 3 cups of chocolate flakes
- Pinch of salt
- Strawberries and store-bought Meringues (optional)
1. pre-heat the oven to 350 F (176 C) and butter and flour a round 8 inch pans.
2. In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt then set aside.
3. In a large bowl cream together the butter, sugar 2 eggs and 2 egg yolks until all combined.
4. Add in the chocolate chips and the vanilla.
5. Gradually alternate the flour mix with the milk + yogurt mixture till all the ingredients are combined.
6. Pour the prepared batter into the prepared pan, and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean (bear in mind that there are chocolate chips so you might touch a few).
7. Let the cake cool before cutting it in half.
8. Prepare the Chocolate Ganache and DO NOT frost the cake until the cake has completely cooled.
9. To make the frosting: In a sauce pan bring the cream, 1/2 cup of icing sugar and the pinch of salt up almost to a boil.
10. Remove the cream and sugar mix from the heat and pour it onto the chocolate chips. Let the cream melt the chocolate and then start whisking till all incorporated.
11. Refrigerate the chocolate ganache for about an hour and whist occasionally. When it’s almost all cooled, add one more cup of cream and using an electric mixer beat till light in color and fluffy.
12. When the cake has cooled and the icing is ready, place half the icing between the layers of cake and use the rest to cover the cake.
13. I used store bought meringues and strawberries to decorate, serve and ENJOY