- 1 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp raw sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter, very cold and cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 3 tbsp ice cold water
- 2 apples (Pink Lady, Braeburn, Honeycrisp etc)
- 1/2 cup raw sugar
- 3 tbsp of butter
- 3 tbsp lemon juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup apricot and raspberry jam
1. for the dough
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt.
3. Add in the cubed butter and using ur fingers work the butter into the flour until the mixture looks like a coarse meal and there are no large pieces of butter
4. Add in ice water tbsp at a time and the dough should just come together into a ball. If you need more water add in an additional tbsp with caution.
5. Form the dough into a disc, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and chill for at least 1 hour ( I left mine for about 2 hrs)
6. Once the dough is ready, flour your counter top and roll out the dough to 1/4″ thick.
7. Use a biscuit cutter or a cup about 3-4″ in diameter and cut out rounds of dough.
8. In your cupcake tray, fit each round of dough. Be careful to push the dough up the sides. Chill dough while the filling is prepped.
9. When you start on the filling, preheat the oven to 375 F (190C)
10. In order to the the petal shapes for your roses cut the apples and remove the core. You will get 2 large large pieces, 2 small pieces and the core.
11. Using a mandolin cut the apples very thinly into half moons. Toss the apples with the lemon juice. Melt 2 tbsp of butter and combine with 1/4 cup of brown sugar.
12. Pour mixture over the apples along with lemon juice and toss to combine.
13. Microwave apples for about 1 minute, until soft and pliable enough to roll.
14. Melt the remaining tbsp of butter and combine with remaining 1/4 cup of brown sugar. Spoon the mixture into the bottom of each dough cup.
15. To form the roses, place about 10 slices of apples on a flat surface, laying them out horizontally and consistently with the skin side facing you. Place each slice so it overlaps the previous slice by half.
16. Begin tightly rolling the apples from one end to the other. Once you’ve got the basic rose shape, pick up the apples and add any additional apple “petals” around the outside, depending on how large you want the rose to be.
17. Put an apple rose in each cup of the muffin tin and bake for 25-30 minutes at 375F until crust is golden and apples are cooked through.
18. Warm the apricot and raspberry jam in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Brush preserves over each apple rose to glaze.
19. Serve warm and enjoy with ice cream or a cup of tea!